It’s National Water Quality month! This month, as we enjoy the last weeks of summer at our beaches, lakes and rivers, we also reflect on all of the ways we can keep our water ways clean and free of debris so we can enjoy them year-round.
Here are some ways you can keep your water quality in top shape:
- Dispose of your items properly.
- Check and fix any leaks from your sprinklers and/or watering system.
- Pick up after your pets. Remember: pet waste is not fertilizer!
- Use a broom, not a hose, to sweep up debris around your property.
- Make sure your trash and recycling bins are covered and not overflowing.
- Get familiar with common stormwater pollutants reduce your contribution to that list.
- Use our Report Pollution tool if you see anything other than water from a rain event in the curb, gutter, alley or street.
- Practice sustainable gardening: utilize mulch, rain barrels or plant a rain garden to capture water runoff from your property.
Want to know more?
Sign up for year three of our 52 Ways to Love Your Water pledge!