The County of San Diego Stormwater Capture and Use Feasibility Study conducted a County-wide analysis to determine the feasibility of planning, constructing, operating, and managing facilities that capture and use stormwater for beneficial uses.
Potential beneficial uses of captured stormwater include:
Key outcomes from the study include:
- The San Diego Region has limited natural opportunities for storage (groundwater basins, lakes); constructed storage opportunities can increase the volume of stormwater harvested for reuse.
- Capture and use alternatives are already being implemented in San Diego Region, including green infrastructure and low-flow diversion.
- Stormwater harvested strictly for “supply” can be costly; offsetting the costs of projects that contain multiple or co-benefits can reduce the cost per acre/foot to a similar range as other water reuse practices (recycled, potable reuse and desal).
- The Stormwater Capture and Use Feasibility Study was developed as a management tool to help guide decision making associated with the capture and reuse of stormwater.
The completed study has been incorporated into the updated San Diego Integrated Regional Water Management Plan and supplements the analysis of the approved San Diego Region Stormwater Resource Plan.
Funding for this project was provided through the San Diego Integrated Regional Water Management Prop 1 Planning Grant and contributions from regional agencies and nongovernmental organizations.
Technical memorandums and data developed as part of the study effort can be accessed using the links below:
- Data Collection and Existing Conditions Memorandum
- Modeling Approach and Results Memorandum
- Cost Analysis Memorandum
- Prioritization Analysis and Results Memorandum Parcel Analysis shapefile
County of San Diego - Department of Public Works
San Diego Zoo Safari Park Green Parking Lot and Stormwater Capture and Use Project
Total potable water use in the San Diego region in 2017 based on data from the Water Authority
Estimated lower and upper end of the range of regional total annual volume of stormwater capture and use.