The holidays are almost here! Make sure your celebrations are merry, bright and stormwater-friendly with these tips:
- Heading out for holiday shopping? Remember your reusable bag! When plastic bags are not disposed of properly, they can clog up our storm drains. We recommend keeping a reusable bag or two in your car so you always have one with you (and if you don’t, opt for a paper bag that you can recycle).
- Reduce your waste by opting for eco-friendly or repurposed gift wrapping and packaging or go digital by sending e-gift cards or gift experiences instead of material items.
- After your celebrations, make sure all your trash, recycle or compost items make their way into their proper, covered bin so they don’t end up in our waterways.
- Remove any stands, ornaments, lights or tinsel from your tree before you put it out for collection. These items do not break down and can pollute our waterways.
- This time of year usually comes with a lot of lights and batteries. Both items contain chemicals that are harmful to people and the environment and should be properly disposed of at a Household Hazardous Waste Facility.
- Household waste increases about 25%between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. Go to projectcleanwater.org/dude for more information on how you how you can dispose, donate or haul your unwanted items.
And be sure to check out these resources for more sustainable holiday tips: